Last year I noticed that the car wasn't cooling as efficiently as it could in the middle of summer on the motorway, so I took the front license plate off and that 'solved' the problem with more airflow. It's a new rad though, so huh ?
This year I've had a good look at the rad cap (due to other issues) and found it to be properly defective and holding bugger-all pressure (the hoses were still soft when the engine was warmed up) - well... that'd explain the problems from the year before
Fitted a Gates RC133 (1.1 bar) rad cap (made in england!!) and the rad hoses are properly turgid now woop.
I just got used to the rad fan coming on all the damn time and thought it was normal.
Going to replace the lambda sensor, check the exhaust isn't leaking, give it 98 octane, octane booster and injector cleaner and take it for the retest
I recall that making sure that everything was up to temperature and the cat was really hot was another way to get the emissions down, although you sort of need to drive straight in to the test when you arrive for that to happen!
The one nut that wouldn't come off by hand, was rounded off by the impact wrench and a 10mm
So then I hammered on a 9mm on and gave it the beans but by hand. That don'er. I kept the end of it on the captive bolt and and gave her a few side taps to get the 9mm off... No cracks on the 9mm so yay.
Also put in some Philips Racing Vision 200+ Halogen H4s to recover some of the brightness since the Dutch Gigolo Headlight Modifier's work has kind of made the lights a bit too weak on the original bulbs.
Went to visit my mates at the Initial D Garage and checked out the exhaust. it isn't leaking. Also checked out the gasses coming out having put in some cat cleaner. Previous ITV test gave 0.57% CO, over the limit of 30. The test with the my mates (admittedly poorly calibrated) gas tester showed it was now down to about 0.46%, which is at least in the right direction.
I then put in a witch's brew . cocktail of additives on my half tank of 98. Going for the 'nuke it and try' approach....
A bottle of Octane booster (for a 50-60 litre tank..) and some Ecomax (injector cleaner and mild octane booster) (50ML for a 50litre tank) and an 'ITV Gasoline' additive recommended by my Weaboo Garage mates.
Paid the ITV retest cost.. .. 13 euros.
Kept the revs up at 4-6K until they got the gas tester out :-)
Well the CO reading was 0.20% so Canoe YEAH, just like it was at the last MOT in the UK.
I had addressed all their list of complaints the first time but then they 'noticed' that the headlights were all cabletied in (they were before) and that the reverse light wasn't an incandescent (it was an LED before too). they Canoeing hate LEDs here lol. The stupid thing is that all the non-white lights were LED anyway. They can only tell an LED if it gives off the colder brighter white light. Canoeing moving targets right.
Went home, whipped up bolts and brackets and the old incandescent reverse light..
Went back to the test centre and paid ANOTHER 13 euros (I was way over the '1 free retest' date) and SHE WAS THROUGH!
I will naturally never use that test centre again but at least I paid only another 26 euros instead of the full 120 importation cost at another centre.
The best I can say for the chaps at that centre is that they like to 'paja con guantes' which roughly translates to 'self-canoe with gloves'.
I've now reverted ALL the things back to LED, put on the breather filter again... Put on the offroading lights again.. etc.